Holy trinity…! I have been to New Orleans 4 times 2 when I was on tour 1 time on a food expedition for my friend who was opening up a restaurant, and the last time was when I was a animator and demo artist I was asked to speak on a panel about 3D software at Siggraph with some of the top artists of the time. The 2 things in common with these trips 1st I was on business or on stage on the trips. 2nd I tried every Cajun and Creole dish I could while I was there.
If you don’t succeed… I remember the first time I and Jesse saw someone in a window making hand-pulled noodles. We watch the man twist and pulled noodles until they multiplied into a bowl full of noodles. I went inside and spoke to the manager I asked if it would possible for the master to teach Jesse who was 11 at the time. They look at him and were about to say no till I showed them the dishes he made they smiled and showed the master the pictures They said yes. I said I wanted to come
Hong Kong gardens... I grew up eating all kinds of eggs fried, hard-boiled, soft boiled, water eggs, steamed egg custard, and omelet... When I was a kid we never had egg foo young as most people know it a deep-fried dark omelet filled with vegetables and some protein in almost a flying saucer shape then topped with some ubiquitous brown sauce. Egg foo young We ate a soft omelet with maybe 2 3 ingredients max. Topped with just a drizzle of oyster sauce and soy sauce. Egg foo young was created during the building of the railroads
Mush! One thing I never liked is oatmeal only 5% of the world eats oatmeal the other 95% is livestock. But I do like steel-cut oatmeal is normally boring even the story behind it is boring. But let me see if I can change that! First the oatmeal that everyone knows that comes in the round box with the picture of bushes wife is called rolled oats. It’s called rolled oats because it is rolled and flatten. The process makes it cook faster because of the wider surface area, so it can be cooked anywhere from 1 minute to
Chop it up Our food deliveries come on Fridays so by Tuesday I have to keep an eye on veggies to make sure I used them before they go off. So time to make a salad! But what kind?... The green tossed salad was invented in Chicago by chef Harry Salled in the kitchen of the carter hotel in 1921...Lol just messing with you! The salad has been around since the ancient Romans and Greeks. They ate mixed greens with salt and oil. Salad is a shorter version of the French word salade and sal is from the Latin
I want it now! Everybody nowadays wants everything fast including food. In my previous dinner it was a slow process making everything from scratch. Now I wanted to go in the opposite direction can I make a complete dinner by the time the water boils? Yes! Instant noodles but I am sure I make mine a little different let me explain what instant noodles are first… Instant noodles have saved many broke college kids from starving to death and all the people who don’t know how to cook can still make instant Raman. Momofuku Ando invented the instant noodle
Please sir may I have some more...? Pea Soup If you are the age where they served split pea soup in schools then you know the nightmares it caused for the lunch ladies. Let me explain... Pea soup has always had a bad rap they even used it as special effects in The Exorcist! The Exorcist Till one day you taste that perfect bowl of creamy pea soup! But when did we ￼started eating Pea Soup? Pea soup has been around for a long time longer than you great grandma Take a guess? Well it was first
Green peas with beef over rice. When I was kid grown up this was one of my favorite dishes. it was about 1.50 for this this.. back in the day. It was ether ground beef or slice beef and sometimes served with a fried egg on top. The sauce is oyster sauce based with some minced onion. This is a comfort food anyone who knows this dish knows what I mean.
I had only 1 small steak so I used in a a way that everyone could share it. That is why I like to cook Asian food it’s a good balance and you don’t need a lot of protein. American style would have been 1 steak per person them potatoes and a veg. Korean bulgogi beef and fried dice fish with sushi rice sides with ginger broccoli and kimchi. Mixing Asian dishes Korean Chinese and Japanese. Such a great combo not many people know what fried dace is you have to be old school and have grown up in